Apana vayu mudra, also known as the mudra of heart, is a yoga exercise which is considered as a panacea for all sort of heart problems- high blood pressure, breathing difficulties, angina pectoris (chest pain due to reduced supply of blood to the heart), heart attack and heart failure.
Regular practice of this mudra everyday can help eradicate all sorts of heart blockages to regulate the blood pressure. Also, it oxygenates the blood and repairs any damage to the heart muscles for a better heart health.
High blood pressure (Hypertension)- An overview
The human heart acts as a pump- it supplies oxygen-rich blood to various body organs through the blood vessels and pumps the oxygen-poor blood back to the lungs to get recharged with fresh oxygen. The blood pressure is the pressure (force) exerted by the blood against the walls of the blood vessels during flow.
Any sort of blockage in the blood vessels- cholesterol deposits, blood clots, narrowing of the blood vessels due to hardening- would compel the blood to exert more pressure during flow. This problem is known as high blood pressure. If left untreated, it would result in weakening of heart muscles and further critical heart problems.
Apana Vayu mudra for High blood pressure
Before discussing the benefits of Apana vayu mudra for high blood pressure, let us quickly understand the science behind the healing powers of yoga mudras.
Mudra means gesture. Yoga mudras are hand gestures formed by the manipulation of fingers and aim to balance the basic body elements- fire, air, water, earth and space.
Apana vayu mudra is a combination of two mudras together- Apana Mudra and Vayu mudra. It has a 4-way mechanism- balances 4 elements of the body- to improve heart health.
Read more: Vayu mudra to relieve gastric problems
Read more: Apana mudra to relieve constipation
How to practice Apana Vayu Mudra
Fold the index finger and place it at the bottom of the thumb. Now, touch the tips of middle finger and index finger with the tip of the thumb. The little finger should remain erect.
You can practice this mudra at any time of the day in any posture- sitting, standing, walking or lying. For best results, practicing this mudra in the sitting position is advisable. Just sit in a comfortable position, keep your spine straight and practice this mudra. If you are unable to fold your knees due to joint pain, sit on a chair and practice.
Start with 15 minutes a day and increase it up to 45 minutes a day. If unable to devote 45 minutes at a stretch, then practice it three times a day for 15 minutes each.
Before beginning the practice session, it is better to wash your hands and rub them against each other for 10 times. It would improve the energy flow and provide enhanced benefits.
Overall benefits of Apana vayu mudra for heart health
Apana vayu mudra is a one-for-all type remedy for various heart problems.
- It acts as the first line of defence against heart attack and angina pectoris.
- It stimulates the blood flow and removes all sorts of heart blockages and blood clots to treat arteriosclerosis.
- It is very beneficial in case of heart palpitations and shortage of breath (breathing difficulties)
- It provides strength to the heart muscles and helps to normalize the blood pressure.
Precautionary measures and side effects
Apana vayu mudra is a safe and easy to practice yoga exercise. If you are suffering from any heart condition or you have a family history of heart problems, then practice this mudra everyday for a healthy heart.
Do consider below precautionary measures to get the best benefits:
- During the mudra practice, press the fingers against thumb gently. Don’t apply too much pressure. Keep your body loose and breathe normally. Unnecessary tightening of the body would restrict the flow of energy.
- Being a natural yoga exercise, it would take time to show results. Hence, don’t hurry and practice regularly for good results. Do not practice it for more than 45 minutes a day.
- Pregnant ladies, breastfeeding women and people with serious health issues should practice this mudra after consulting a yoga expert.
- Apana vayu mudra is not a “magical” cure for heart issues. Practice this mudra along with a healthy diet and lifestyle for long term benefits. If you are under medication, do not stop taking them. Apana yoga mudra should not be considered as an alternative to doctor’s diagnosed medicines.
Mudras: Yoga in your hands
The book- Mudras: Yoga in your hands– explains the science behind the health benefits of yoga mudras in a simple language. It is a must-buy book for the beginners who are interested in exploring yoga mudras and their mind-body benefits. In this book, you would find a number of yoga mudras explained for their therapeutic benefits.
You can check this book at Amazon:
If you are from USA, click here to buy
If you are from UK, click here to buy
If you are from India, click here to buy