Thyroid is a gland in the neck that releases hormones. These hormones control the body metabolism by increasing the oxygen utilizing capacity of most of the body organs. Hence, it is important that the thyroid gland releases enough hormones- neither less nor more.
In short, thyroid gland affects the body metabolism- it affects how your body produces and utilizes energy.
The under activity of this gland would slow down the body metabolism to cause below disorders/ symptoms:
- Weight gain
- Hair loss
- Dry nails
- Chronic fatigue and tiredness
- Low blood pressure
- Swelling on the face
- Joint stiffness and muscle pain
- Abnormal menstrual cycles
- Dry skin
- Tingling or numbness in the body parts
The hyperactivity of thyroid gland would have below symptoms:
- Sudden weight loss
- Rapid heartbeat
- Muscle ache and weakness
- Lack of concentration and memory loss
- Menstrual problems
Thyroid problems are not curable, but, can be managed with proper medication, diet and lifestyle practices.
Read more: Oolong tea for digestion and weight loss
Read more: Apana mudra for body detox and constipation
Shunya Mudra for Thyroid
Shunya means space, sky or emptiness. Mudra means gesture or hand gesture
Shunya mudra is a hand gesture yoga practice which aims to reduce the space element in the human body to pacify aggravated dosha balance. It helps to bring the hormone balance in the human body which may help with thyroid, abnormal menstrual cycle and other problems related to hormone imbalance.
Read more: Shatavari for menopause symptoms
The five elements of human body
The whole concept of Yoga and Ayurveda is based on the five-elements theory. It implies that everything in the whole universe, including human body is made from five elements- fire, air, water, space (sky) and earth.
In the human body, these five elements are represented by the five fingers as below:
Shunya mudra for thyroid problems
During shunya mudra, the middle finger (representing the space element) comes into contact with the thumb (representing the fire element). It completes an electric circuit to stimulate the body’s magnetic fields so that the energy (electromagnetic current) flows to reduce the space element (emptiness) from the body. It helps to treat dosha imbalance and improve symptoms related to thyroid problems.
Shunya mudra is particularly beneficial in case of the under-activity of the thyroid gland (hypothyroidism).
- This mudra can be practiced in any position such as sitting, lying, walking or standing. But, the sitting posture is recommended for maximum benefits. Just sit on a yoga mat with a straight spine and practice shunya mudra. Breathe normally and keep your body loose so that the energy can flow freely within the body. In case of any physical disability or joint pain, you can sit on a chair with a straight spice and practice.
- The thumb should be pressed gently against the middle finger. Applying too much pressure would hinder the energy flow.
- Always wash your hands well before the mudra practice and rub them against each other for one minute to warm up the hands and activate the energy channels.
- Ideally, all the yoga mudra should be stopped after treating the problem. As the thyroid problems are lifelong disorders, so try to reduce the time after getting significant improvement. For example, 15 minutes a day just for maintenance.
Going beyond thyroid problems
Benefits of Shunya mudra are not limited to thyroid problems only. It has a wide range of health benefits as below:
- Ear problems- Shunya mudra is beneficial in various ear problems such as hearing loss, deafness, ear infection, ear ache and water discharge from the ears
- Reduces tingling or numbness in body parts
- Relieves symptoms related to vertigo and motion sickness
- As it reduces the feeling of emptiness in various body organs including the brain, it is beneficial for mentally challenged people
- Beneficial in case of painful, irregular menstrual cycles.
Read more: Mudra for deafness and hearing loss
Benefits of shunya mudra for thyroid problems are encouraging, but, it is not a cure for thyroid problems. It is more like a supplement and it would bring the best results when combined with a healthy diet, positive lifestyle and medications as prescribed by your doctor.