Shunya Vayu mudra is a hand gesture yoga exercise which helps to release accumulated air and space element from the body to provide various therapeutic benefits.
Shunya and Vayu- both are Sanskrit words. Shunya means sky, space or emptiness. Vayu means air.
The five-elements theory of Yoga and Ayurveda believes that the whole universe, including the human body is composed of five elements- fire, air, water, space (sky) and earth. In the human body, the fingers of our hands indicate these five elements as below:
During shunya vayu mudra, the index finger (representing air) and middle finger (representing space) are brought into contact with the thumb (representing fire). The fire element of thumb charges these two fingers to form a closed electric circuit. It results in the flow of energy (electromagnetic current) to balance the air and space element in the body.
To sum up, shunya vayu mudra act as a lock to adjust the flow of energy within the body to reduce air and space elements and provide related health benefits.
Read more: Apana mudra for body detox and constipation
How to do Shunya Vayu Mudra
Fold both the index finger and middle finger and place them at the base of the thumb. Now, place the thumb over these fingers with a slight pressure. The remaining two fingers should remain straight.
Shunya vayu mudra simply means practicing shunya mudra and vayu mudra simultaneously. In shunya mudra, you fold the middle finger; in vayu mudra, you fold the index finger- in shunya vayu mudra, you fold these two fingers together.
- For general health and well-being, practice this mudra for 15 minutes a day. For chronic health problems, practice it for 45 minutes a day. For example, three times a day for 15 minutes each.
- You can practice this mudra in any position- sitting, standing, walking or lying. But, sitting posture is the most beneficial one. Just sit on a yoga mat in a comfortable position with a straight spine, close your eyes and practice this mudra. For best results, practice it at night before going to bed.
- If unable to fold your knees due to any problem, then sit on a chair and practice.
Shunya Vayu Mudra benefits
This mudra is beneficial for below health disorders:
- Lack of endurance and stamina
- Insomnia and sleep disorders
- Parkinson’s disease
- Arthritis, joint pain and gout
- Unsteady gait and giddiness
- Bloating, gastritis and flatulence
- Various ear problems- ear ache, infection, fluid discharge from the ears, deafness and ringing in the ears
- Thyroid disorders
- Painful menstrual periods
- Numbness in body parts
- Vertigo and motion sickness (travel sickness)
Read more: Yoga mudra for deafness and hearing loss
Read more: Yoga mudra for gastric problems
Shunya vayu mudra is a complementary treatment. It is not a full-fledged treatment in itself. Hence, practice this mudra along with a healthy diet, positive lifestyle and medicines as advised by the doctor for best results.